Scripps National Spelling Bee
Clara Barton has enrolled in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It is one of the nation’s oldest and most popular competitions with a purpose; to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabularies, and learn new concepts that will help them throughout their lives.
2023 SPELLING BEE
Registration is open to all students in Grades 1 through 5. Cost is $20, which is paid online at the time of registration. Last day of registration is on 10/24/22 (Monday). The fee covers enrollment, optional practice sessions, access to the Scripps National Spelling Bee 2023 Study List, qualifying written test, a participation certificate, and supplies.
Only registered students may participate in the Clara Barton Spelling Bee.
- Registration 10/03/22 - 10/24/22 - Registration is now closed
- 1st meet up: 10/25/22 Tuesday Orientation 3:50-6:00pm School Library
- 2nd meet up 11/15/22 Tuesday Practice 3:50-6:00pm School Library
- 3rd meet up: 12/13/22 Tuesday Practice 3:50-6:00pm School Library
- Spelling Bee Preliminary: 1/31/23 Tuesday 3:50-6:00pm School Library
- School Spelling Bee Finals: 2/11/23 Saturday 10:00-12:00 pm Commons/Gym
- A list of 450 words will be emailed to participants after sign up.
- Registered students will meet in Clara Barton in October, November & December. Each meet up will have coaching with tips, games, mock rounds and written rounds based on the word list.
- Registered students will enter a Preliminary Written Round in January. Top Students of each grade will move on to the Finals in February where a School Champion, Runner Up & Grade-Level Champions will be selected.
- The School Champion will advance to District Level to be held in Seattle & hosted by Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- All participants receive a participation certificate. School winners receive medals and prizes.
The Spelling Bee is a PTSA initiative and sponsored by Clara Barton PTSA. If not a PTSA member, please consider joining by checking out our "Getting Started" page.
Like all enrichment programs, we need volunteers to help administer the two after-school practice sessions and the grade-level written test. If you would like to volunteer, please email our Spelling Bee chairs. We appreciate your support of our school’s Spelling Bee, which enriches education and promotes the academic skills of our students. It’s buzzworthy stuff indeed!
When spelling orally, judges are looking at lips for clear enunciation and will keep a two-minute timer. During the two minutes, spellers may ask to hear the word again, ask for the definition, sentence, part of speech, language(s) of origin, and alternate pronunciations**. Spellers may not ask root word questions or request slower pronunciation. It is the speller’s responsibility to say each letter distinctly and with sufficient volume to be understood by the judges. According to the to rules for 2023 Local Spelling bee judges are in complete control of the competition and their decision is final on all questions!
**Scripps National Spelling Bee recommends Merriam-Webster for correct pronunciation, definition, etc.
|Registration||Open to grades 1-5
10/3 to 10/24
|1st Meet Up||10/25/22|
|2nd Meet Up||11/15/22|
|3rd Meet Up||12/13/22|